Research Programs at NLC
CIMA LSAMP Undergraduate Research at NLC
At NLC there are two areas of research opportunities available for students: molecular biology with Dr. Erica Cain and chemistry with Mrs. Marsha Adrian. Both research areas are done in collaboration with scientists at four-year universities.
Current projects for Dr. Cain include:
- Helping to identify regenerative genes in the aquatic blackworm, Lumbriculus variegatus, as a collaborative effort with Dr. Veronica Martinez-Acosta at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.
- The production of molecular tools to aid in the investigation of the proteasome, a molecular machine that helps to degrade proteins in cells, for Dr. Jeroen Roelofs' lab at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas.
A current project for Mrs. Adrian:
- The synthesis of new copper (II) and zinc compounds that have potential in antitumor activity in collaboration with Dr. Adrian and Dr. Leverett at the University of the Incarnate Word for testing on cancer cells.
For more information, contact the Research Mentors listed below.
|Biology||Dr. Erica Cain
|Chemistry||Mrs. Marsha Adrian
CIMA LSAMP Undergraduate Research at UTSA
The CIMA LSAMP Undergraduate Research Program is a partnership between the Alamo Colleges District and local universities where Alamo Colleges District students have the opportunity to be paired with faculty mentors from participating universities and assist with their research projects. Students will gain exciting hands-on experience during this research opportunity in one of the following areas: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geological Science, Physics, Psychology.
- Up to $3000 stipend for participants that complete the program
- The research will be done at the university campus
- The program lasts for 10 weeks in the summer
- Students should be prepared to work Monday-Friday, approximately 40 hours a week, during this 10-week period
- Students must be a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), major
Other Summer Research Opportunities