Supplemental Instruction for English (SI)
Lab Hours of Operation:
Days and times vary, but SI Session days/times will be announced by your SI Leader!
Location: RLC-205 or via ZOOM
The Supplemental Instruction for English lab is located on the second floor of Redbud Learning Center in room RLC-205. Please come by and let us know how we can help you with your English classes. The lab is open to all students who are enrolled in a course with the SI component.
Supplemental Instruction (SI):
SI is a peer-to-peer resource for students in our 1301++ and 1301+ English courses and is designed to provide students with added assistance. We hold weekly SI sessions which bring students together in a collaborative effort. During these sessions, students will compare notes, discuss readings and work together to solve complicated issues related to the course. Each session is guided by an SI Leader who are current or recent students that have previously succeeded in the course and who are interested in helping students grow in the subject area. SI is not meant to replace the actual course but is designed to provide added assistance in historically difficult courses. Our SI Leaders also provide one-on-one tutoring for students who need personalized assistance.
A safe place where students can ask questions.
A free resource for all students whose class participates in the program.
A great way to collaborate and grow as a student.
Backed by research and has been shown to help students succeed.
SI is not...
Intended to replace your English course.
Similar to a traditional classroom.
Possible without eager students who are willing to discuss and share.
Come prepared (bring notes, textbooks, writing paper and a positive attitude.)
Be ready to hold respectful conversations with fellow students.
Not expect a lecture.
Attend as many English classes as humanly possible.
From Spring 2020
- I really appreciate all the extra help during this COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you so much.
- I will miss her and thank you for all your help
- I like that the SI was very clear in addressing areas to me and making it simple and helpful to understand points I would miss or have trouble getting through. I appreciate the time for helping all of us.
- Thank You for taking the time to work with us and making an effort to meet us each where were at and helping us understand what was being taught to improve and learn. At the end of the day, we all learn differently and we are all at different levels and comprehend differently. So
- Thank You to our SI for being understanding and helping us through remote learning.
Information on upcoming workshops is coming soon!
Fall 2023 Hours of Operation:
Monday: 9 AM–8 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM–8 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM–8 PM
Thursday: 9 AM–8 PM
Fridays: 9 AM–2 PM