Transfer Dismissal

Dismissal from another College/University

I was dismissed/suspended from another College or University. My advisor told me I need to complete hours at a Community College in order to transfer back.

If you are transferring to Northwest Vista College after being dismissed from another school (to include other colleges from the Alamo Colleges District), you will need to complete the Academic Dismissal process prior to being eligible to enroll in courses. After one full 16-week semester, students must submit a completed dismissal petition packet via email for a fall or spring 16 week semester. No Flex II, Start II or summer petitions are accepted at Northwest Vista College.

What is the process to Petition to come to Northwest Vista College?

Please view our Academic Dismissal Petition Process Page for more information.

Where do I  obtain a dismissal packet?

Please review the Academic Dismissal Checklist before submitting your packet.

Academic Dismissal Packets will be available through the PASS Canvas course.

How and When can I submit my Academic Dismissal Petition?

Please view our Academic Dismissal Packet Requirements Page.

Dismissal packets must be completed in full with all sections filled out
and a typed Reflection Statement attached when submitted. Acceptable file formats are PDF and Word. No other file formats are able to be viewed- this includes One Note and Google Docs. Students who submit incomplete packets or have not completed all eligibility requirements listed above will not have a Dismissal Interview scheduled until all requirements have been met. If you have any questions about how to fill out any parts of the petition packet, you may contact the Academic Standards team by email at or by phone at 210-486-4459.

Transfer students are required to attach a copy of your prior college official transcript when you submit your packet.

Important Information:
The Certified Academic Advisor will determine your eligibility and help you prepare a plan of action. 

Petitions for Waiver of Academic Dismissal are only accepted for the spring and fall 16-week semesters. We do not accept petitions for the summer or Flex semesters. 

Please be aware that submission of a petition does not guarantee approval.

If you are planning to transfer back to your previous institution, we highly recommend you discuss the following items with your current advisor prior to enrolling at NVC: 

  • How many credit hours do I need to complete successfully before I can transfer back?
  • Are there any specific courses that I should enroll in first while attending Northwest Vista College?
  • How will the courses I take at NVC impact my GPA there once I transfer back?
  • Once I have met all the necessary requirements, what is the process in order to transfer back?

 Click here to obtain a Petition Checklist to keep track of all required steps.