Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements
You will submit your completed petition packet and reflection statement through the PASS Canvas module. Petitions are not accepted in person. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards Team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
The Dismissal Packet is accessible through the Canvas course. You will be added to the course once you have completed the Admissions process (step 1) and submitted the Academic Dismissal Petition Information form (step 2). Students will be added to the course beginning Monday, November 2nd, 2020 until Tuesday, January 5th, 2021.
Please read all the requirements below before submit your completed packet. Submissions of incomplete or incorrect packets will delay your ability to complete the petition process in time.
Click here to view the Academic Dismissal Checklist. (will be available on Monday, November 2nd, 2020.)
You will submit your completed petition packet and Paving My Path reflection statement through the PASS Canvas module. Petitions are not accepted in person or by email. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
- Individual Success Plan- has been completed in GPS with two semesters of courses planned out- Spring 2021 and either Summer 2021 (if applicable) or Fall 2021 (maximum of 8 credit hours each semester)
- Paving My Path Reflection Statement- is a typed Word or PFD document that addresses all areas requested
* If you did not meet all the requirements or complete as directed you will be notified through the Canvas course and asked to resubmit once edits have been made.
Once all eligibility requirements are met you will be notified through your ACES email with information about scheduling the dismissal interview.
Priority Date: Thursday, July 30th, 2020
Final Deadline: Friday, August 7th, 2020
If all steps are completed as directed by the priority deadline, you are guaranteed to be contacted to schedule a dismissal interview. If you do not respond to the outreach attempts within two weeks of the outreach attempt, you will forfeit the guaranteed opportunity to interview and will be schedule if sessions are still available.
If all steps are completed as directed after July 30th but by August 7th, 11:59pm, the Academic Standards team will contact you via email to schedule a dismissal interview on a first-come, first-served basis, until interview sessions are full and SDEV0171 classes are filled. Please allow up to four (4) business days for a response.
No extensions on deadlines will be given.
Once your dismissal packet has been complete and reviewed, the Academic Standards Team will email to you to schedule dismissal interview.
**As we have limited spots each semester we highly recommend that you complete the petition process as early in the petition period as possible. Once all Dismissal Interviews have filled, students will have to wait until the following semester to petition.
**Missed interview sessions, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once, if Dismissal Interviews are available. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
Students will meet with an academic advisor to review their petition packet and discuss their plan to be successful. In the Dismissal Interview, the student will be given a decision as to whether the petition has been approved. If the petition is approved, the student will be eligible to register. You will also be registered for a required Strategies for Success course (SDEV0171). More information regarding this class will be provided in the Dismissal Interview. During your interview, you will work with an advisor to develop an Action Plan to help you be successful in your returning semester and beyond. You will also be provided with a list of available resources on campus that will help you stay on the road to success.
Decisions are normally made within one week of meeting with an advisor for your Dismissal Interview. Remember, submitting a petition does NOT guarantee your petition will be approved. All decisions will be sent to the student's ACES email only. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Northwest Vista College.
- You will be required to adhere to all petition requirements indicated on the Contract for Student on Academic Dismissal. Failure to complete all requirements will result in non-compliance for your petition and you will have to sit out up to a full academic year. No exceptions will be made.
If Not Approved:
- The advisor will provide you with information via ACES email on steps to take in order to petition for an upcoming semester.
In order to ensure the petition experience is a good one, please read the following helpful tips:
• If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal such as medical-related issues, include any relevant documentation with your packet submission.
• Read the Paving My Path Reflection Statement directions very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in your essay- reflections, planning for the future and present opportunities. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions, and decisions resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues and semesters that you were having trouble in. Be descriptive regarding what you envision your future to look like and how you plan to achieve those goals. State actions you will take to ensure you get where you are going.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Your Pathing My Path Reflection Statement MUST be typed, and a minimum of 1-2 pages. Handwritten submissions will not be accepted. Use the Reflection Statement example provided through the Canvas course and attached to the checklist as a guide to help you..
Academic Standards Team
The following information is for the upcoming Spring 2021 semester:
Spring 2021 Priority Deadline
Tuesday, December 1st, 2020
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed an opportunity to interview.
Spring 2021 Absolute Last Day to Submit
Monday, January 4th, 2021
Students who have complete all steps after December 1st and by January 4th, 2021 by 11:59 pm are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion.