District Alert: Classes begin remotely on March 23rd. Updates
In response to COVID-19, the Alamo Colleges District are conducting classes remotely beginning March 23. For Residency questions you may communicate with us through our department email at: sac-Residency@alamo.edu.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to safeguard the health of our students and employees.
- Residency verification - Residency re-classification
- Address change and update - Residency verification for non-US citizens
- Waiver for military personnel and their eligible family members
Under Texas state law, an applicant or enrolled student is classified either as a resident of Texas, a non-resident, or an international student. An individual's residency classification is based on information from his/her ApplyTexas application.
To qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must live in Texas for one year and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. An applicant or student who is claimed as a dependent on a parent's most recent federal tax return will be classified based on the parent's qualifications for residency.
The amount of tuition you are charged is based on your residency classification, which is determined according to the information you submit on the ApplyTexas application. You may also be asked to provide documentary evidence that proves your residency status.
The general residency classifications for tuition purposes are as follows:
- Bexar County resident: A Texas resident who has lived in Texas for the past 12 months and resides in Bexar County.
- Out-of-district student: A Texas resident for the pat 12 months who does not reside in Bexar County.
- Out-of-state student: A U.S. citizen who has not lived in Texas for the past 12 months.
- Out-of-country student: A non-U.S. citizen who is not a resident alien.
Your residency classification is based on rules and regulations established by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. If you have questions about residency, contact the Residency Office.
If a student's current address is not in Bexar County, he/she must provide proof of physically residing in Bexar County. This is required before tuition status can be adjusted. The "Acceptable Residency Documentation" must be submitted to Residency Office prior to registration. Any tuition status revisions submitted after the official census date becomes effective the following term. Tuition and fees for in-district students, out-of-district students, non-Texas residents and international students are based upon the number of credit hours for which they register.
All students are required to pay: General fee, registration fee, library fee, insurance fee, and student activity fee.
The Acceptable Residency Documentation must be submitted to Residency Office prior to registration. Any tuition status submitted after the official census becomes effective the following term.
Students classified as non-Texas residents at the time of initial registration shall retain that status until a written application for reclassification is filed and approved.
San Antonio College Core Residency Forms may be obtained from the Residency Office. The Core Residency Form and all "Acceptable Residency Documentation" must be submitted to the Residency Office.
Students verify establish residency based on the answers they provide to the core residency questions on the ApplyTexas application. Students may be contacted by the Alamo Colleges District for additional residency documentation.
- In-District Bexar County Resident: A Texas resident who has lived in Texas for the past twelve (12) months and resides in Bexar County.
- Out-of-District Student: A Texas resident for the past twelve (12) Months who does not reside in Bexar County.
- Out-of-State Student: A U.S. citizen who has not lived in Texas for the past twelve (12) months.
- Out-of-Country Student: A non-U.S. citizen who is not a resident alien.
Preferred documentation for in-district classification:
- Texas ID or Driver’s License
- Current lease or proof of ownership of real property
Acceptable supporting documentation:
- Utility or telephone bill
- Voter registration card
- Pay stub
- Bank statement
- Documentation from social service agency indicating receipt of services in Bexar County
- Other documentation may be presented and accepted at the discretion of the college's Residency department