Fidel Bém Named Director of Advising at SAC
August 21, 2020
Fidel Bém has been appointed director of Advising at San Antonio College. As the head of advising, Bém’s responsibilities include
- Developing and coordinating advising and student support services programs to ensure that faculty and staff advisors provide quality academic advising to students.
- Evaluating graduation and retention procedurse to ensure that students are successful in college and graduate in a timely manner.
- Directing Career Services, Internship programs and Job Placement.
Before being promoted to director of Advising, Bém was the acting director and advising team leader for High School programs and an advisor for the dual credit program at SAC.
As director, Bém said his focus will be in three areas:
- To inspire relationship building among team members in his unit and across the college.
- To emphasize mentoring relationships that move students toward career fulfillment.
- To guide the balance between necessary transactional tasks and transformational advising interactions.
Bém received an associate of science degree from Barbados Community College. He earned a bachelor’s in business administration, marketing, and a master’s of education in counseling and personnel services from the University of Louisville in Kentucky.