College Work Study
College Work Study is a need-based financial aid program that offers eligible students funds earned through part-time, on-campus or off-campus, employment. This program provides students the opportunity to earn their own money, find a position that prioritizes their class schedule and study needs, and gain valuable professional skills needed for future employment opportunities. Students can work up to 19 hours per week at our hourly rate of $13.75 per hour.
Effective September 1st, the hourly rate for all student workers will increase to $14.37 per hour.
- Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for State Financial Aid and any additional verification requirements.
- Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours within their degree plan.
- Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Students must have room for need based aid in their Cost of Attendance (COA).
If you do not already see work study awarded via ACES, you can determine your eligibility by visiting the financial aid office or by submitting a work study application.
Steps to Apply
1. Complete an Alamo Colleges Work Study job application, by selecting the application for your Home College of Record.
⇒ The Financial Aid Office will review all applicant's work study eligibility.
2. Complete the New Hire paperwork sent to you from the HR department at the email address used on your application (monitor your email spam folder).
3. Be prepared for job placement. Departments will reach out to eligible students to set up interviews. Students may also visit departments to discuss current openings and attend hiring fairs.
4. Once hired, review the Work Study Handbook.
Work Study FAQs
Work Study opportunities are located at various departments across your college campus, along with a number of opportunities at off-site Alamo Colleges District Support Offices, and with non-profit organizations around the San Antonio area.
Yes, there is limited funding available for the summer. Eligible students who are interested in continuing employment after the spring semester may be able to work in summer based upon availability of funds and departmental needs.
Students must meet the following requirements for summer eligibility:
- Check with supervisor for position availability.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 summer hours.
- Be in good SAP standing.
- Complete the upcoming academic year’s FAFSA and any verification requirements.
- Be enrolled in a minumum of 6 hours for the upcoming fall semester.
To make any changes to your direct deposit, or if you wish to begin receiving your wages via direct deposit rather than a mailed paper check, please contact payroll by email at dst-BannerPayroll@alamo.edu or by phone at 210-485-0370.
Yes, work study earnings are taxable and must be reported on your IRS Income Tax Return (a W-2 is issued). These earnings however are excluded from reporting on FAFSA and therefore do not affect your future financial aid eligibility.
W-2s for students are located within their ACES student portal. Please follow the navigation below:
- Web Services > Employee tab > Tax Forms > W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
If you do not receive yours, please contact the Payroll department by email at dst-BannerPayroll@alamo.edu or by phone at 210-485-0370.