College Work Study
The College Work Study Program is a financial aid need-based program that provides a student funds earned through part-time employment at a rate of $13.75 per hour starting September 1, 2021. Eligible students can work up to nineteen (19) hours per week depending on their Cost of Attendance (COA).
The program allows both Full and Part-Time students to earn extra money to fund school related expenses while developing an interest in their career fields or academic areas.
To be eligible, students must meet the following requirements:
- Must complete the current year's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for State Financial Aid and any additional requested verification items
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours within the student's degree plan
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Steps to Apply:
- Complete an Alamo Colleges Work Study application HERE by selecting the application at your Home College of Record.
- A resume will be required. If you need help with an outline for a resume, see link: Example Community Base Basic Resume.
- Once the application is fully completed and you have been confirmed eligible by the Financial Aid Office, the Alamo Colleges HR department will contact you through the email address used on your application to complete the necessary New Hire paperwork. Please also monitor your email spam folder for this email from the HR department.
- For job placement:
- Departments will reach out to eligible students to set up interviews.
- Students may visit departments with current openings (please visit the financial aid office for this listing).
- Multiple sign-up and hiring fairs will take place on each campus.
- Once hired, view the Work Study Handbook.
The Alamo Colleges' Work Study program allows students, whether wanting to work on or off-campus, the ability to find a position that allows each student to be a student first and create a work schedule that complements their class schedule and study needs.
The program will also allow students to gain valuable professional skills needed for future employment opportunities.
Also, while the earnings are taxable and must be reported on your Federal Income Tax Return (a W-2 is issued), work study program earnings are excluded from FAFSA income and therefore do not affect your future financial aid eligibility.
Work Study opportunities are located at various departments across your college campus, along with a number of opportunities at off-site Alamo Colleges District Support Offices, and with non-profit organizations around the San Antonio area.
- Eligible students can work up to nineteen (19) hours per week depending upon the student's financial aid budget. At certain times of the year students can exceed the 19 hour weekly maximum while classes are in session and the student is enrolled. However, this must be approved in advance by the Financial Aid Office and also by the student's supervisor.
- Students may be asked to stop working and/or reduce the number of hours/weeks worked at a certain time during the year due to funds that have been exhausted, a reduced budget, and/or scholarships being received resulting in the work study award being reduced.
- The College Work Study pay rate is $13.75 per hour, starting September 1, 2021.
Although you may not see a Work Study award via your ACES portal, we encourage you to stop by your college's financial aid office to determine if you are eligible.
Only federal funding is available for summer work study. Eligible students who are interested in continuing employment after the spring semester may be able to work up to 15 hours per week in summer based upon availability of funds and departmental needs.
Students must meet the following requirements for summer eligibility:
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours
- Check with supervisor for position availability
- Complete the Summer Application via ACES
- Complete the following academic year’s FAFSA and any verification requirements
- Enroll for the following fall semester
- Be in good SAP standing
To make any changes to your direct deposit, or if you wish to begin receiving your wages via direct deposit rather than a mailed paper check, please contact payroll by email at dst-BannerPayroll@alamo.edu or by phone at 210-485-0370.
W-2s for students are located within their ACES student portal. Please follow the navigation below:
- Web Services > Employee tab > Tax Forms > W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
If you do not receive yours, please contact the Payroll department by email at dst-BannerPayroll@alamo.edu or by phone at 210-485-0370.