Community Work-Study (CWS) Prospective Partners
The Alamo Colleges District partners with 501(c)3 non-profit and governmental agencies, as well as public school districts to provide eligible work-study students with opportunities to work in a real-world environment, ideally in positions that align with the student’s field of study. Eligible students work with a partnering agency with 100% of the student wages paid by Alamo Colleges through federal financial aid funding.
Partnering agencies determine the position(s) offered and have the opportunity to review student resumes to determine whether to offer an interview. Once hired, students may work up to 19 hours per week and earn $13.75 an hour. Employers commit to a student’s employment per semester and may rehire the student for subsequent semesters, or may hire a new student each semester. Employers are required to accommodate students’ academic schedules and activities.
Eligible partners may interview and hire students in the following fields of study:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Advanced Manufacturing & Logistics (including Industrial Trades)
- Health & Biosciences
- Creative & Communication Arts
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Public Services
For a complete list of majors, visit WS Majors
- Attend a CWS Prospective Partner Briefing (annually, 2nd Thursday in June)
- Complete a Partner Agreement; Submit copy of 501(c)3 letter
- Post position(s) on the Alamo Colleges work-study job bank
- Receive student resumes
- Interview candidates; Make job offers
- Submit employed work-study time-sheets in a timely manner
- Promotes available positions to eligible students
- Refers students for employment consideration
- Conducts basic criminal background checks
- Manages HR matters and issues payroll
- Funds 100% of student wages through federal financial aid funds
Ready to Learn More?
Prospective CWS partners are recruited annually during the month of June. Register to attend a CWS Prospective Partner Briefing on the second Thursday of June at either 9:00 am or 3:00 pm. Attending the CWS Employer Briefing is a required step of the CWS Partner onboarding process.