Private-Sector Work-Study (PWS) Prospective Partner Information
The Alamo Colleges District partners with private-sector employers to provide eligible work-study students with opportunities to work in a real-world environment in positions that align with the student’s field of study. Through the Private-Sector Work-Study (PWS) Program, eligible students work with partnering employers who pay either 25% or 50% (based on business size) of the students’ wages while Alamo Colleges pays the remaining portion of the wages through federal financial aid funding.
Partnering employers determine the position(s) offered, the number of positions they want to fill, the hourly pay rate (minimum $14.37), and the number of hours a student will work per week (between 10 and 19). Employers receive reviewed student cover letters and resumes to determine whether to offer an interview. Employers commit to a student’s employment per semester and may rehire the student for subsequent semesters, or may hire a new student each semester. Employers are required to accommodate students’ academic schedules and activities.
Eligible partners may post positions for students majoring in all areas of the six Alamo Colleges Academic Institutes:
Creative & Communication Arts
Business & Entrepreneurship
Health & Biosciences
Advanced Manufacturing & Logistics
Science & Technology
For a complete list of majors, visit PWS Majors.
- Attend a PWS Prospective Partner Briefing
- Complete a Partner Agreement
- Post position(s) on the Alamo Colleges work-study job bank
- Receive student resumes and cover letters
- Interview candidates; Make job offers
- Submit employed work-study timesheets in a timely manner
- Promotes available positions to eligible students
- Refers students for employment consideration
- Conducts basic criminal background checks
- Manages HR matters and issues payroll
- Funds 75% or 50% of student wages through federal financial aid funds
Ready to Learn More?
Prospective PWS partners are recruited annually during the month of June. Register to attend a PWS Employer Briefing on the third Thursday of June at either 9:00 am or 3:00 pm. Attending a PWS Employer Briefing is a required step of the PWS Employer onboarding process.
Jun 15, 2023 09:00 AM Central Time
Jun 15, 2023 03:00 PM Central Time
Areas of High Need
If you are an employer looking to participate in the Private-Sector Work-Study program and are seeking students majoring in the areas listed below, please email Dr. Martha Trevino, Director at email@example.com to discuss onboarding at any point during the academic year.
• Computer Science
• Engineering, all
• Information Technology, all
• Sciences, all
Contact Us Today!