Prospective Partner Information
The Alamo Colleges District partners with private-sector employers to provide eligible work-study students with opportunities to work in a real-world environment in positions that align with the student’s field of study. Eligible students work with a partnering employer who pays either 25% or 50% (based on business size) of the student wages and Alamo Colleges pays the remaining portion of the wages through federal financial aid funding.
Partnering employers determine the position(s) offered, the number of positions they want to fill, the hourly pay rate (minimum $13.75), and the number of hours a student will work per week (between 10 and 19). Employers receive student cover letters and resumes to determine whether to offer an interview. Employers commit to a student’s employment per semester and may rehire the student for subsequent semesters, or may hire a new student each semester. Employers are required to accommodate students’ academic schedules and activities.
Eligible partners may interview and hire students in the following fields of study:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Advanced Manufacturing & Logistics (including Industrial Trades)
- Health & Biosciences
- Creative & Communication Arts
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Public Services
For a complete list of majors, visit WS Majors.
- Attend a PWS Prospective Partner Briefing (see dates below of upcoming sessions)
- Complete a Partner Agreement
- Post position(s) on the Alamo Colleges work-study job bank
- Receive student resumes and cover letters
- Interview candidates; Make job offers
- Submit employed work-study time-sheets in a timely manner
- Promotes available positions to eligible students
- Refers students for employment consideration
- Conducts basic criminal background checks
- Manages HR matters and issues payroll
- Funds 75% or 50% of student wages through federal financial aid funds
Ready to Learn More?
Register to attend a one-hour required webinar to get details about becoming a partner.
Starting mid-January 2022, prospective PWS partners will be recruited annually during the month of June. Register to attend a PWS Prospective Partner Briefing on the third Thursday of June at either 9:00 am or 3:00 pm. Attending a PWS Employer Briefing is a required step of the PWS Partner onboarding process.
Jun 16, 2022 09:00 AM Central Time
Jun 16, 2022 03:00 PM Central Time
Areas of Need
If you are an employer looking to participate in the Private-Sector Work-Study program and are seeking students majoring in the areas listed below, please email Dr. Martha Trevino, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the possibility of onboarding before June 2022.
- Computer Science
- Engineering, all
- Information Technology
- Sciences, all
Contact Us Today!