History of NLC
Northeast Lakeview College was officially established in January 2007 as the newest of the five Alamo Colleges. The college offers 370,000 sq. ft. of academic space and sits on 267 acres at the corner of Loop 1604 and Kitty Hawk Road in Universal City, TX. NLC offers quality academic programs including associate of arts, associate of science, associate of arts in teaching, and some applied science degrees and certificates. The institution continues to focus on student success demonstrated by a continued increase in completion and graduation rates. Degree completion is one of the measures both the Alamo Colleges and Northeast Lakeview College use to demonstrate success.
Northeast Lakeview College traces its beginnings back to 1996 as the Northeast Learning Center on Toepperwein, an extension of St. Philip's College. In June 2000, ACCD purchased land at 7990 Pat Booker Road. Northeast Learning Center became Northeast Campus and in 2001, Northeast Campus entered into an additional partnership with San Antonio College as a satellite location. In Spring 2001 ,the first classes at Northeast Campus (NEC), an extension of St. Philip's and San Antonio College(s) were held. The Northeast Campus continued to grow and hold classes at this location until Fall 2006 when ACCD purchased and renovated a former building at 8300 Pat Booker Road. NEC classes were held at this location while the permanent site of Northeast Lakeview College was under construction. In Fall 2008, five buildings at the new campus opened and in Fall 2009, all nine buildings became fully-operational.
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the college’s accrediting agency, announced during their December 2017 meeting that Northeast Lakeview College was approved for accreditation. And in January 2018, Northeast Lakeview College received its official notification letter. Over the years, NLC has grown as an institution, as well as received several awards, and celebrated many achievements from our students, faculty, and staff. Click on the recognitions, awards, and milestone tab to learn more about NLC’s achievements.
|Recognition, Awards, and Milestones||Information about the college mace|
Northeast Lakeview College Street Names and Rationale
Castella Circle: the main entrance to the campus, named after the family who agreed to the sale of the land to ACCD for the new college.
Lower Valley Rd: named after the first public school to serve the Lower Valley Community settlement along the banks of Cibolo Creek in Guadalupe County. Lower Valley School # 33 was established in 1877 and closed in 1966 when it consolidated with today’s Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD, one of the ISD’s that NLC serves. NLC has a tribute space in the library to commemorate LVS and houses a few, unique LVS artifacts.
Lakeview Parkway: the longest NLC roadway, named in honor of the signature geographic feature of the college site.
Kruse Circle: named after the family that last farmed the current college property, for over a fifty-year period. The Kruse Circle roundabout is almost the exact location of the farmhouse and the farm well.
Metrocom Circle: named after the ten small-medium-sized northeast communities that advocated for and supported the development of the newest of the five Alamo Colleges.
JECA Drive: named after the Judson ISD-ACCD collaborative partnership, the Judson Early College Academy, located on the NLC campus
College Way: the north entrance to the campus, named after the purpose of the entire site