Instructional Innovation Center
Welcome to Northeast Lakeview College Distance Learning and Instructional Innovation Center (IIC)! The mission of the IIC is to provide support for students and faculty that are engaged in technology-based learning. Northeast Lakeview College offers several courses in hybrid and online-only environments. The IIC staff ensures that the experience students have with online learning environments is of the highest quality.
Northeast Lakeview College uses the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS). The IIC assists students and faculty in the use of the Canvas LMS in both fully online, face-to-face, and hybrid courses. We strive to learn and help faculty become knowledgeable in the most up-to-date technology advancements in education.
The two largest programs the IIC offers are the Orientation to Online Learning (OLRN) for students and the Online Teaching Certification (OTC for faculty.
- Assist with design and redesign of courses, including online, hybrid, and face-to-face
- Assist with developing clearly defined and measurable student learning objectives
- Offer advice on learning activities and developing assignments and assessments to achieve learning objectives.
- Assist with designing/developing instructional materials, including various multimedia artifacts for either online, hybrid, or face-to-face instruction
- Assist with identification of effective teaching strategies for learning and student engagement
- Examine how your class may look and feel from a student's perspective
- Conduct course reviews using Quality Matters rubrics
- Offer Orientation to Online Learning (OLRN) for students and the Online Teaching Certification (OTC) for faculty.
- Provide training and support for all faculty teaching online, hybrid, and/or on-campus courses in using Canvas, DesignPlus, SoftChalk, Mediasite, etc.
- Offer one-on-one consultations or group workshops
- Assist faculty and students in the use of the Canvas LMS in fully online, hybrid, and face-to-face courses
- Recommend appropriate technologies and how to best use tools in the course, such as YouTube, Canva, Flipgrid, and Padlet
- Help faculty improve on tools they already use or experiment with emerging technology to increase student engagement.
- Studio is available in the IIC for faculty to record mini-lectures for their classes.
- Microphone and Headset available for use
Provide instructional and technical resources, tutorials, and workshops to deliver information that supports teaching and learning.
ACOL Instructional Designer
Comal Learning Resource Center 123
OLRN-0001 On-Campus Session: Registration Form
First time taking an online or hybrid course? Get oriented by registering for the Orientation to Online Learning mini-course.
Distance Learning Faculty LibGuide
Online teaching resources for DL faculty