Veterans Center FAQ

updated 11/29/2023

How to access Enrollment Certification Form?
When do I submit Enrollment Certification Form supporting documents?

Every Semester AFTER you register for courses. Students also need to re-submit for the semester if their schedule changes such as adding, dropping, or cancellation of courses. This is to ensure students do not accumulate debt with the VA or lose Hazlewood hours.

What is a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

A Certificate of Eligibility is a letter you will receive via postal mail 4 to 6 weeks after you apply for the federal benefit. You can submit the application confirmation in lieu of the COE until it arrives if it is your first time applying for a benefit. Once your COE arrives, please send a scanned copy to

How to submit supporting documents?

You will need to attach all supporting documentation to the Enrollment Certification Form using the paperclip icon on the second page of the VA Enrollment Request form.


When will I receive payment/how much will I be paid

Please call 1-888-442-4551 for information about payment and deposit accounts. NLC VA does not process payments in office.

What is the Claim Number for Chapter 35?

The claim number for Chapter 35 is the veteran’s 9-digit social security number and is to be stated in the second form of the VA Enrollment Request Form. 


What if one or more of my courses is cancelled?

You will need to submit a new Enrollment Certification Form using the link: 

Enrollment Certification Form

What if I change my schedule?

You will need to submit a new Enrollment Certification Form using the link after you have made the changes.

Enrollment Certification Form

How do I change/update my residency if I am considered “Out-of-State”?

Please contact or call 210-486-5827 about residency in order to receive accurate information. Each student may have different forms and supporting documentation requirements for residency updates

Military Residency Form

What is the best way to contact Northeast Lakeview College’s Veteran Center?

Email us at during remote operating hours and allow 2-3 business days for a reply. Always send through your ACES student email and state your Banner ID for all correspondence for faster response time.

What is best way to contact the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs?

For VA Benefit information please call 8008271000. For the GI Bill hotline call 8884424551. For other helpful VA phone numbers please visit:

How much money will I receive from my benefit?

Please access VA.Gov and use the search to find the “Comparison Tool”

Can I use VA benefits and Financial Aid within the same semester or school year?”

Yes! Military-affiliated students may use both VA, Hazlewood, and Financial Aid benefits as long as they qualify. To apply for financial aid, please visit the financial aid webpage for information on filling out FAFSA: Please contact the financial aid office with any questions about financial aid or FAFSA questions 210-212-ALAMO or

How do I request a tuition deferment as an eligible Veteran or family member?

After registering for classes, military-affiliated students must complete the VA Enrollment Certification form. Within this form, a request can be made to defer tuition.  Students asking for a deferment MUST apply for financial aid or the request will not be granted. For more information please speak to the NLC VA center.