students learning in various settings

Beginning January 31, 2019, you may access your 1098-T online through your ACES account.

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 allows a tax credit to be claimed for out-of-pocket payments made to the Alamo Colleges District on behalf of Northeast Lakeview College District, Northwest Vista College District, Palo Alto College, St. Philip's College, and San Antonio College during 2018 for tuition and certain fees.

The IRS requires that we provide a 1098-T statement to you for your use in completing IRS form 8863. The 1098-T tax forms will be available on January 31, 2019. The Alamo College District will report amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses during 2018.

The amounts and calculations used to determine the credit are the decision of the taxpayer after consideration of relevant IRS regulations, Form 8863 and perhaps, the advice of a tax consultant.

The Alamo Colleges District will report the amount the student paid (Box 1) during 2018. There will be no amounts reported in Box 2 of the 1098-T form.

Continuing Education students will not receive a 1098-T form. Continuing Education students may obtain copies of their paid tuition bills via their ACES account.

1. When can I get my 1098-T?

Alamo Colleges District reporting will be prior to January 31, 2019.  Beginning January 31, 2019, you may access your 1098-T online through your ACES account.

2. Why do I need to provide a Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN)?

If you are planning to file an income tax return using your education expenses, you will need to have a valid SSN on file.

If you are an international student and plan to file taxes, we will need your TIN. However, if you are an international student without an SSN and are not filing a tax return, you do not need to provide an SSN or a TIN.

3. I am an International student, who attended Alamo Colleges District during the 2018 calendar year and was not issued a 2018 Form 1098-T. What do I need to provide to have a Form 1098-T issued to me?

If you are a non-resident alien student and do not have U.S. source income, (U.S. scholarships, awards, waivers etc.), that is subject to tax, Alamo Colleges District is exempt from issuing a Form 1098-T to you.

The Alamo Colleges District requires a Taxpayer Identification Number to furnish a Form 1098-T statement to you.  You were not issued a Form 1098-T because a valid Taxpayer Identification Number was not on file with Alamo Colleges District.

4. How can I change my address?
  1. Log in to your ACES account
  2. Go to Web Services
  3. Select Personal Information
  4. Select Update Addresses and Phones
5. Will I receive a 1098-T?

A form 1098-T is generated only for academic students who have qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) and payments received during the 2018 calendar year.

Continuing Education students will not receive a 1098-T Form.  

6. Why does (Box 2) on my 1098-T have nothing reported?

Federal rules have changed for the 2018 calendar year.

All institutions of higher education have to report payments received (Box 1) for QTRE to the IRS.  Alamo Colleges District must report on (Box 1).

7. What is considered a qualified tuition and related expense?

Eligible or qualified tuition and the following fees:

  • student activity fee
  • student processing fee
  • instructional material fee
  • international education fee
  • some exam fees, (for placement, testing out of credit courses or test fees required for degree program).  
8. What is a non-qualified charge?

Non-qualified charges include the following:

  • library fines
  • parking fines
  • late payment fees
  • lap-top fees
  • transportation fees
9. What constitutes Scholarships and Grants (Box 5)?

Any scholarships and grants administered and processed during the calendar year for the payment of student’s costs of attendance.

Scholarships and grants generally include all payments received from 3rd parties, (excluding family members and loan proceeds).

This includes payments received from governmental and private entities such as the Department of Defense, civic, and religious organizations and nonprofit entities.

10. Why did my spring semester payment/payments not appear on my 1098-T?

You may have registered during early registration, (typically November or December), and your QTRE’s were reported on your previous 2017 1098-T form.

The reporting has changed for 2018 and payments cannot exceed the QTRE billed from January 1, 2018, through December 31, 2018. 

11. My 1098-T was mailed to the wrong address. How do I obtain a new 1098-T?

To obtain your 1098-T, you may access it online through your ACES account.

  • Log in to your ACES account
  • Go to Web Services
  • SelectPersonal Information
  • Select Update Addresses and Phones
12. I still have questions who can I contact?

The Alamo Colleges District has provided the Form 1098-T in compliance with IRS guidelines. However, Alamo Colleges District is unable to answer any tax-related questions or provide any tax advice on this issue.

All information and assistance that Alamo Colleges District can provide is contained in this notice. The content of this notice is not intended as legal or tax advice.

For tax specific question, please contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040 or your personal tax advisor for further assistance.

If you need assistance accessing your Form 1098-T online, please contact the student hotline after January 31, 2019, at 1-866-428-1098.