Veterans Center


Important News Concerning VA Educational Benefits Due To COVID-19

The Alamo Colleges District Veterans Affairs Offices are providing advising and benefit certification services to our students remotely due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The VA has provided us some guidance pertaining to the payment of housing allowance for students who have had all of their courses converted to online courses as a result of campus closures.

Senate Bill 3503, which was signed into law on March 21, 2020, grants Post 9/11 GI Bill® students who pursue resident courses converted to an online modality solely due to COVID-19, the ability to continue receiving the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) rate for resident training. Tuition and Fees reporting requirements will not change. Please keep in mind that all standard adjustments, such as when you drop a course, will still result in changes to your MHA and tuition and fee payments. Developmental Courses that are converted to online training modality due to COVID-19 will be certified as residential coursework. These changes are in effect from March 21, 2020 thru December 21, 2020.

As always, if you have any questions, please contact the NVC Veterans Center by email at or by phone at 210-486-4417.

Your questions are very important to us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible for you. If you have specific benefit payment questions, please contact the VA Education Hotline at 1-888-442-4551.


Submit Your Request for Enrollment Certification


For VA Benefits

First time using Post 9/11 benefits with NVC?

Attach the following to your request for certification form:

  • DD214
  • certificate of eligibility
  • military transcript

First time using Ch. 35 benefits with NVC?

Attach the following to your request for certification form:

  • Certificate of eligibility
  • Include your claim number, which is your sponsor’s SSN, on the request for certification form.

*Your request will not be processed without a claim number* 

All subsequent VA requests for certification will only require the request for certification form to be submitted.

For Hazlewood benefits

First time using Hazlewood?

  1. Please review the documentation checklist to see which documents you will need to submit
  2. Set-up an hours-used report.

*Legacy recipients need to submit a report for their sponsor the first time they claim their exemption*

All subsequent requests for certification using Hazlewood require the following attached to the request for certification form:

Please click below to submit your request:

Request for Enrollment Certification


Helpful Sites to Obtain Your Documentation 

To obtain a copy of your DD-214, please click here 

Military Transcripts
To obtain a copy of your Joint Services Transcript, please click here.
To obtain a copy of your Community College of the Air Force Transcript, please click here.


Helpful Forms

Hazlewood – Documentation Checklist

Hazlewood Application – First Time User

Hazlewood Application – Continuation of Enrollment

Hazlewood Application – Revocation of Previously Assigned Legacy Hours

Hazlewood - Hours Used Report 

Schedule Change

Residency Waiver


Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

To obtain a COE for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®, or Chapter 1606 Montgomery Selected Reserve GI Bill®, please click here.

To obtain a COE for dependents who were transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits, please click here

To obtain a COE for Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance benefits, please click here.

*Special Note: If you are requesting a COE for the first time, we ask that you please save the confirmation page at the end of your application. The NVC Veterans Center will accept this confirmation page one time to proceed with your request for certification.  We do this so that you do not have to wait 30 days to receive your COE by mail. The Veterans Center will request your COE for all subsequent semesters.


Updating your Certificate of Eligibility

If you are a Veteran who has used your GI Bill® benefit at a school other than Northwest Vista College, you will need to update your Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a Request for Change of Program or Place Training

If you are a Dependent who has used your GI Bill® benefit at a school other than Northwest Vista College, you will need to update your Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a Dependent’s Request for Change of Program or Place Training.


Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits (VR&E)

To apply for VR&E benefits, please click here


Because the bookstore is closed and classes will be online, the bookstore is going to create accounts for Veterans to order books and supplies online through the bookstore website.

To access your VA accounts online, you will need your campus student ID number, as that will be linked to the supply and book voucher.

You will need to place two orders, one for books and one for supplies - as you would do two transactions in the bookstore at the registers.

Once you have logged into your specific campus bookstore website you will see a link to shop by student ID:

Enter your student ID, and hit enter. You will be brought to a second page, where you confirm your college and the term (Summer 2020).

Once you select “Find Courses”, you will be taken to your list of courses, where you will select which books you are looking to purchase.  Make your selections based on the required materials.

Once you have made your selections, proceed to checkout.  Create an account using your .edu email address, and confirm your shipping and billing address.  Once you get to the payment method screen you will see your payment options.  For VA, you will have to select the option for Bookstore Charge Account as seen below:

Once you have selected that, enter your full campus student ID number and select Find accounts.  You will see two accounts, one for books, one for supplies.  Select the appropriate account.

PLEASE NOTE: You cannot use the full available balance on your textbook account - we place a large limit to ensure it covers all REQUIRED books.  If your book total is only $50 you cannot spend the excess.  YOU CAN ONLY PURCHASE THE BOOKS LISTED FOR YOUR CLASS.

Before you continue, you must checkmark that you understand the terms and conditions of using the VA accounts online for both textbooks:

And for supplies:

Once you have checked the box and clicked “Pay with This” you can finalize and complete your order.  You will receive an email with your order confirmation number, and once your order ships, a tracking number will be provided via that email address.

You will repeat the order process for your Supplies account, shopping for the standard supplies, such as pens, pencils, notebooks, highlighters, etc.

The ACCD Follett bookstores are as follows, with store email addresses:

San Antonio College Bookstore –
Northwest Vista College Bookstore –
Palo Alto College Bookstore –
St. Phillip’s College Bookstore (Main and SW campus) –
Northeast Lakeview College Bookstore –


About Veterans Center at NVC

Veterans seeking enrollment at Northwest Vista College are encouraged to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for information regarding specific type of eligibility and extent of educational benefits coverage. The Northwest Vista College Veterans Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110) staff will assist students by providing certification of courses and electronically submitting such information to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Eligible veterans and dependents must declare an educational goal (i.e. follow an approved Northwest Vista College degree plan) in order to be eligible to receive educational benefits from the Department of the Veterans Administration. The VA will only pay for courses in the declared program and any exceptions require compliance with VA guidelines. 


Hours of Operation 

Mon-Wed: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am-7:00 pm
Friday 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
The first Saturday of every month 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Walk in Basis Daily 


Advising Services

Walk in Services:

  • Veterans Affairs Certification
  • Hazlewood Application/Renewal
  • Schedule Changes
  • General Questions

Appointment Services:

  • Graduation planning
  • Transfer Planning
  • Financial Aid Appeals
  • Academic Dismissal Petitions 


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out if I am eligible for VA benefits, the amount of payment and the length of my eligibility?

These questions may be directed to the VA by calling 1 (888) 442-4551 or by using the National And Regional Contact information listed above. Northwest Vista College provides certification of coursework only, we are not able to provide information regarding eligibility, payment, and other VA services.

I've never used my benefits before, how do I apply?
  • Apply online electronically at completing VONAPP
  • Download a PDF version of the application from the VA Web site
  • Meet with advising staff in NVC VA Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110)
How/when do I request certification of my courses?

Chapter 31 Students: Each semester, after registering for classes and prior to payment deadlines, a student must submit a Request for Certification to the NVC Veterans Center in order so that a student can receive his or her payment voucher to be taken to NVC Business Services for payment of tuition and fees. In addition, a current VA Form 28-1905 must be on file so that Veterans Affairs advisors may process a payment voucher and create Books and Supplies Voucher. Students requesting Chapter 31 certification should see an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veterans Center (Cypress Campus Center CCC-110).

Chapter 33 Students: Each semester, after registering for classes and prior to payment deadlines, a student must submit a Request for Certification to NVC Veterans Center in order so a student can receive his or her payment voucher to be taken to NVC Business Services for payment of tuition and fees.  Students requesting Chapter 33 certification should see an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veterans Center (Cypress Campus Center CCC-110). 

All other Chapters (30, 35, 1606, 1607): Each semester, after registration and confirmation of necessary payments to the College, students may seek certification with an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veterans Center (Cypress Campus Center CCC-110).  

It is the student's responsibility to request certification each semester of enrollment and to inform the NVC Veterans Center of any changes (adding, dropping, or switching courses) in enrollment status.

What if I have a Parent Letter from another institution?

Students seeking supplemental enrollment at Northwest Vista College should seek VA certification in the same manner as described above. Students will be required to provide a Parent Letter from their primary institution at the time of certification. 

What documents may I need to provide for certification?
  • VA Form DD-214, if separated from the military
  • VA Form 28-1905, if using Chapter 31 benefits
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
  • Copy of military transcript
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter
How do I allow my Basic Training to apply as college credit?

Northwest Vista College will grant academic credit for 4 semester hours of Kinesiology to Veterans who provide an official military transcript that supports successful completion of military basic training.

How do I allow my Basic Training to apply as college credit?

Students changing their enrollment status after certification are required to notify the NVC Veterans Center immediately. We will then notify the VA by submitting a Notice of Change in Student Status VA Form 22-1999b.

What about Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)?

The Veterans Administration may provide educational assistance to qualified veterans under Vocational Rehabilitation Educational Services (Ch 31). Acceptance into this program will permit Northwest Vista College to offer courses for which the VA will pay tuition, fees, textbooks, school supplies, and a living allowance for the student. Every semester of enrollment will require that an approved veteran visit the NVC Veterans Center and participate in the administrative process necessary for the delivery of VA educational benefits. 

What about the Hazlewood Act?

The Hazlewood Act (Article 2654-B-1) aids veterans who have exhausted all of their VA educational benefits. A legal resident of Texas is exempt from payment of tuition and certain required fees when the applicant meets certain criteria.