Academic Dismissal Petition Process
What is the process to Petition at Northwest Vista College?
Students petitioning to return from Academic Dismissal need to complete the following:
Students must plan on attending Northwest Vista College. Petitions are only reviewed if you will be enrolling as a Northwest Vista student. Students wishing to petition at a different Alamo College must submit the petition to that institution.
Click the Academic Dismissal Checklist to obtain a PDF version of the directions.
If you would like assistance with understanding the steps to the petition process, we will be offering Pre-Petition Information Sessions (PPIS) via Zoom on the following days:
- Friday, November 13th 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm
- Friday, November 20th 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm
- Friday, December 4th 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm
- Friday, December 11th 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm
No registration is necessary- just click on the Zoom link at any of the days and times listed above and you will be able to join the session. We will begin promptly at the time indicated, so in order to avoid disruptions we will not allow anyone to join the session once it begins.
Students must have an active application for the semester you are submitting a petition.
Students who have not been enrolled within twelve (12) months of their petitioning semester are required to complete the Admissions process. This step must be completed first in order to proceed with the remaining petition process steps. You may view information on how to complete the Admissions process online by clicking on the Application and Enrollment Steps for Transfer and Former Students
- Students must not have any registration holds on their record other than the Academic Dismissal hold.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit Bacterial Meningitis
The last day to submit an application for admission for the Spring 2021 sixteen week semester is Monday, January 4th 2020. Applications submitted after January 4th will not qualify for the spring petition process.
Complete the Academic Dismissal Petition Information Form
Once you have completed the admissions process, you may proceed with the next step, which is to fill out and submit the Academic Dismissal Petition Information Form online. The form is important as it will ask you the following information which will be utilized to give you the best possible experience with our dismissal process.
- Information required to add you to the PASS Canvas Course
- Contact Information
The form is able to be submitted online, and you will receive an invitation to the course via ACES email within 4-5 business days. No additional emails will be sent unless there was an issue regarding being added to the course. Emails will be the primary method of communication and all notifications will be sent to your ACES student email.
The form may be submitted beginning October 15th, 2020, however students will not be added to the course until November 2nd. The last day to submit a completed Petition Information form for spring is Monday, January 4th, 2021.
Complete the P.A.S.S. Canvas Course
Once you have submitted the Academic Dismissal Petition Information form online, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure the admissions steps have been completed and you are ready to be added to the course. Once you accept the invitation send via your ACES student email, you will be able to:
- See an overview of the PASS course
- Review Petition Packet Requirements
- Learn about what to expect during the Dismissal Interview
- Learn how to schedule a Dismissal Interview
- Learn more about what will be expected of you as the student if your petition is approved
- Transfer-Returning Student Orientation to Northwest Vista College
Upon completion of the canvas course, you will be able to submit your petition packet documents. If you would like step by step directions, please click on Accepting the Invitation to the PASS Canvas Course document.
Students will be added to the course beginning Monday, November 2nd, 2020. The last day to be added to the PASS Canvas course is Tuesday, January 5th, 2021, and the course must be completed in full by January 6th, 2021. Only students with completed applications and submitted Information Forms will be added to the Canvas course.
Submit the Dismissal Petition Packet
Petition packets are only accessible and submitted through the Canvas course upon completion of all the modules. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access and complete the forms. A free version of Adobe is available here. When you are submitting be sure that your packet:
- Is completed in full- incomplete packets will not be considered eligible to move forward to the Dismissal Interview.
- Reflection Statement and Dismissal Petition Waiver re typed- do not submit handwritten documents, pictures of the documents, or any format other than Word (Reflection Statement) and PDF (Waiver form).
- Transfer Students (Non-Alamo)- be sure to include a copy of your prior college transcript with your petition packet.
- Please check your ACES email frequently for updates regarding your petition status.
- For more information on the Petition Packet, please review the Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements page
Note: Submission of incomplete packets will delay the petition process, as you will not be able to be scheduled for a Dismissal Interview until a completed packet has been resubmitted. Depending on the volume of packets received, it may take 1-2 business weeks for review. In order to ensure you are able to complete the petition process by the deadline, it is recommended that you begin the process early, and complete each step as soon as possible. Feeback regarding missing or incorrect submissions are provided through the Canvas course.
The last day to complete all portions of the packet as directed is Wednesday, January 6th by 11:59 pm.
Attend the Dismissal Interview
If all portions of the PASS course were completed as directed, you will receive information and a link to schedule your interview via your ACES email. Dismissal Interviews will begin Friday, November 6th, 2020 and will conclude Saturday, January 9th, 2021. Some things to consider:
- Interviews are scheduled in order of submission- on a first-come, first served basis.
- In order to ensure you are guaranteed an opportunity to interview with an advisor, you must complete all portions of the Dismissal process by the priority deadline:Tuesday, December 1st, 2020.
- Missed interviews without prior notification will result in an automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
Academic Standards Team
The following information is for the upcoming Spring 2021 semester:
Spring 2021 Priority Deadline
Tuesday, December 1st, 2020
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed an opportunity to interview.
Spring 2021 Absolute Last Day to Submit
Monday, January 4th, 2021
Students who have complete all steps after December 1st and by January 4th, 2021 by 11:59 pm are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion.